I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Winter Version of Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup

The Barefoot Contessa posted a recipe for this soup, using fresh garden  tomatoes, on the Food Channel.  I adapted it for winter, using fresh Roma tomatoes, plus finely diced canned tomatoes.  It made a very tasty soup, and is  even better on the second day.  It goes well with a good grilled cheese sandwich!

Ingredients:
3 TBS good olive oil
1 1/2 c chopped onions (2 onions)
2 carrots, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
8 ripe Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 can finely diced tomatoes and juice
1 tsp. sugar
3 TBS tomato paste
1/4 C chopped fresh basil leaves, plus julienne a few for garnish, if desired
3 cups chicken stock
2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream

Instructions:
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and carrots and sauté for about 10 minutes, until very tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, (at this point, I use my immersable blender to make vegetable pieces smaller), sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock, salt, and pepper.  Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.
Add the cream to the soup.  You can process it through a food mill into a bowl, discarding the dry pulp that's left, but I prefer the small chunks of vegetables in my soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment