I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fit for a Queen Tea Cozy and Chocolate Biscuit Cake

This year, Queen Elizabeth celebrates 60 years as Monarch.  The central week for the Diamond Jubilee celebration is Saturday, June 2 through Tuesday, June 5, 2012.
Our good friends are here from London, so they will miss the festivities....perhaps they wanted to miss the crowds in London!  They come over twice a year, and stay a couple of months at a time.  Their son is a builder, and has just finished building a new home for them to live in while they are in Texas.  They have spent the last few weeks moving in.  We wanted to give them something unique for a housewarming gift, so I asked my sweet littlecousin (aka Gwen) to make a tea cozy for them.  We selected a beautiful pattern that was especially created for the Diamond Jubilee, and I think it is lovely!
The Royal crown is in the center, with the English Rose beneath.  There are thistles representing Scotland, shamrocks for Northern Ireland, and daffodils for Wales.

I also plan to prepare the Queen's favorite tea cake, Chocolate Biscuit Cake, for our English friends.  The Queen's former chef, Darren McGrady, used to prepare it for the Queen. He says it was "without a double her favorite tea cake."

My friend Kitty of Kitty's Kozy Kitchen has posted a lovely strawberry ice cream to go with this cake for the Diamond Jubilee.  Do you think the Queen will join us for tea?

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp. butter, for greasing pan
8 oz. McVities rich tea biscuits
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 C granulated sugar
4 oz. semi sweet dark chocolate*
1 egg, beaten
8 oz semi sweet dark chocolate, for icing*
1 oz sweetened white chocolate, for decoration
*Darren does not specify what kind of chocolate, other than "dark chocolate", but I don't think unsweetened dark chocolate would fit the bill.  The cake and icing would be too bitter, I think.  I am going to use semi sweet dark chocolate when I make it, or perhaps Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate.

Instructions:
Grease 6" x 2 1/2" cake ring with butter, and place on a parchment lined tray.  Break biscuits into almond sized pieces by hand, and set aside.  Cream butter and sugar in a bowl until mixture is a light lemon color.

Melt 4 oz. of the chocolate in a double boiler.  Add butter and sugar mixture into the chocolate, stirring constantly.  Add egg and continue stirring.  Fold in the biscuit pieces until they are coated with chocolate mixture.

Spoon the chocolate/biscuit mixture into prepared cake ring.  Try to fill all gaps on the bottom, because this will be the top when it is unmolded.  Chill cake in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.

Remove cake from fridge, and let it stand while you melt 8 oz. of chocolate for the icing.  Slide the ring off the cake, and turn upside down on a cooling rack.  Pour the chocolate over the cake, and smooth the top and sides with a butter knife or offset spatula.  Allow chocolate icing to set at room temperature.  Carefully run a knife around bottom of cake where it has stuck to cooling rack, and transfer cake to a pretty serving plate.  Melt the white chocolate, and drizzle on top of cake in a decorative pattern.

Congratulations on your Diamond Jubilee, Your Majesty.


Mix it up Monday
On the Menu Monday

Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage





20 comments:

  1. Oh- That sounds really , really good, Patsy. I love all the pomp and circumstance that goes along with this special celebration. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tea cozy is so very pretty! And the recipe sounds yummy. I'll have to try it out this summer when I'm at home.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patsy, the tea cozy is very pretty. Your friends are going to love it since it represents such a milestone in their country's history. Thank you for sharing it and the delicious recipe at Your Cozy Home Party.--------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little cousin did a fantastic job on the tea cozy. Your friends will love it. They're also going to love the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tea cozy is beautiful!

    And your recipe sounds wonderful and is very much appreciated!

    This is my first visit to your blog - found you through Rattlebridge Farm - but so surprised I didn't run into you prior to this through the many tea linky parties.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three cheers for your the Queen, your cozy, and your recipe. Thanks for sharing these on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patsy,
    I just love your Tea Cozy, what a special treasure. I just love all the Jubilee Celebrations going on, what fun to be sharing with friends from England. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure the Queen is reading our posts right now and licking her lips wanting our cake and ice cream. She'll probably be heading over for a visit after the big ta-do! We'll even make a new cake and another batch of ice cream for her Majesty's visit. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will probably happen! I'll ask littlecousin to make a tea cozy for her, too! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi, I came over from Seasonal Sunday as your Royal tea cosy caught my eye. This morning TV has been full of the flotilla that is going down the Thames to celbrate the Jubilee and your entry seemed so right! Thanks. What a wonderful present to give your friends!I think I will be calling again as I have become a follower. Have a lovely Sunday with your friends! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been thinking all week-end how I would have loved being in London this week-end. However, with all of the crazy Olympic activity, I decided against going. Now, I can just bake this lovely tea cake and pretend I am there!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi lovely lady.
    This is my first time on your sweet blog. Your recipe sounds yummy. Im also your newest follower on your blog now. Thanks so much for your sweet comments and becoming a new follower on my Tablescapes. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very lovely Diamond Jubliee Tea Cozy for your friend. How fun to make it special for this monumental occassion.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't given it to her yet, and can't wait to see if she like it! Thank you so much for visiting, Ann.

      Delete
  13. The Tea-Cozy is beautiful = I love that

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the tea cozy and the cake sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Patsy, the tea cozy is just lovely and very special with the rose, thistles, shamrocks, and daffodils on it. I'm sure your friend will treasure it always. The cake sounds absolutely delish! Thank you for joining me for tea and sharing your wonderful post with us.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness - that tea cosy is BEAUTIFUL!! also a great recipe!! so enjoyed the jubilee!!!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The tea cozy is so very pretty! And the recipe sounds yummy...love your post!

    ReplyDelete