I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Grandmother's Southern Fried Chicken

Ingredients:
1 whole cut-up chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour
Crisco solid shortening

Instructions:
Soak chicken in salt water for 1-2 hours; remove and pat dry. Put enough shortening in black skillet to reach about half way up the sides. Heat shortening to 350*. Salt and pepper chicken, then dredge in flour. Add to hot pan and cook about 10-12 minutes on each side, until done through, and golden brown. Drain on brown paper or paper towels.
My grandmother made the best fried chicken in the universe. It is a very simple recipe, I follow it, and my fried chicken is good. Even though I make it just like she did, it never tastes the same. Then one day it dawned on me: my grandmother got the chicken from her own yard, dressed it, soaked it in salt water...and fried it in LARD!

If you want gravy to go with the chicken, here's a recipe
Ingredients:
4 TBS pan drippings
3 TBS flour
3 C milk, approximately
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Stir flour into drippings until well blended and scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly and medium brown. Gradually add milk, stirring with whisk. Cook until thickened and creamy, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Making gravy takes practice. Rarely does anyone get it right the first time. If it is lumpy, keep whisking; if too thick, add some water. Above all...don't panic!

No comments:

Post a Comment