I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Aunt Ticky's Southern Divinity

This is my favorite candy in the whole world.  When my Aunt Ticky asked me what I wanted for Christmas...my answer was always DIVINITY!  My family has made this candy at Christmastime for generations.  A true Southern treat, it is a bit difficult to master.  Do not try to make it on warm or damp days.  It does best when weather is cold and dry. I have adapted it for today's cooking methods .  Good luck. It is worth the effort!


Ingredients:
3 c white sugar
3/4 C light Karo syrup
¼ C water
1 tsp. vanilla
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1 C pecan pieces

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients except vanilla, egg whites and pecans, and stir over low heat until dissolved well.  Turn up heat and boil without stirring until mixture spins a thread like a hair, (250 on a candy thermometer, which these ladies didn't ever use)  While this is cooking, beat egg whites until stiff.  When candy mixture is done, pour into eggs whites in a steady stream, while beating with an electric mixer (they didn't have those either, so it was mixed by hand...this is an OLD recipe, folks!).  Add vanilla and pecans.  Beat until firm, and candy loses gloss.  Quickly drop on waxed paper or buttered dish.  

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. My Mom used to make Seafoam, which I adored. I know it's similar to divinity, but she used brown sugar. This sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete