I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Colonel's Cornbread Dressing and My Grandmother's Giblet Gravy

Both of these recipes are the “pinch of this and a little of that” kind. I never measure the ingredients, these are guidelines, so may need adjusting. My father-in-law, "The Colonel", always made the Thanksgiving dressing and carved the bird at the table. The gravy recipe is my grandmother's.

Ingredients:
1 recipe of Aunt Jemima white cornbread mix, baked and crumbled
½ stick butter
1 C celery, chopped with a few leaves
1 C onion, chopped
2 C Pepperidge Farm Seasoned Stuffing
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. salt and 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 C Swanson chicken stock
1 C broth from turkey
1 C milk
2 eggs, optional

Instructions:
Sauté vegetables in butter until soft. Crumble cornbread into large bowl, add remaining ingredients, including both kinds of broth and milk; blend well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Make dressing a tiny bit soupy, but not runny. Bake at 350* until brown and set. Put rest of turkey broth in pot for Giblet gravy.

Giblet Gravy

Ingredients:
Remaining broth from turkey, plus 1 can Swanson’s chicken stock
2 boiled eggs, chopped
Liver, Gizzard, neck, and meat from wing flats, chopped
Flour and water thickening
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Put broths in pot; add chopped eggs and meat, bring to a boil. Season, and then thicken to desired consistency with thickening made with flour and water. Whisk while boiling to avoid lumps.

5 comments:

  1. Patsy, I just had to come meet you. I saw your comment on Southern Hospitality Rhoda's blog. We have something in common. Middle and maiden names! I'm Wanda Sue Horton Craft. We are definitely southern, aren't we? :-) Now, I'm off to check out some more of your recipes. Nobody can change my mind on my dressing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, Wanda Sue Horton Craft! Dressing is definitely a dish that we always want the same every year. I hope you will drop by again...we may even be related.:) Have a great Thanksgiving...and enjoy your own version of dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I am stopping by from Couponing From Florida to Michigan. I am your newest GFC follower. I would love a follow back.

    http://couponingfromfl2mi.blogspot.com

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Thanks, I have been looking for a giblet gravy recipe, this sounds easy, I emailed it to myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping by, and following. I am now a follower on your blog. I hope you like the gravy! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I visited your blog and liked what I seen, so I am now your newest follower, check out my new review...SMASHBOX! Holiday makeover!!!
    I also am the author of new blog on Google, visit mine at
    http://whenitsonlymakebelieve.blogspot.com/ I would be grateful if you follow me back. Have a BLESSED day! and HAPPY HOLIDAY'S...Helen

    ReplyDelete