I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Monday, November 7, 2011

JFK's Favorite Chowder



It is getting colder outside. If you are looking for a delicious, light meal, this Chowder is perfect! My father-in-law found this recipe in the Atlanta newspaper in 1960 when JFK was running for President. It was called JFK's Favorite Chowder, and it quickly became our favorite too! This is not a thick chowder, but has the consistency of soup. It is delicious and comforting on a cold day.
Ingredients:
1-1½# firm fleshed white fish (Haddock, Cod, Halibut)
10 slices Salt Pork, cut in very small cubes
2 TBS butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery and a few leaves, chopped
6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper
2 bay leaves
1 box chicken stock
1 quart whole milk (I use half and half)

Instructions:
Fry diced salt pork in large pot until brown and crisp; drain and save. Add onions, potatoes and celery to drippings. Sauté until soft. Add salt and pepper, stock and bay leaves. Bring back to a simmer until vegetables are done, then and add fish, cook until done. Add milk and butter. I use half and half because it makes a richer dish. Cook on low until hot. Do not boil soup. Sprinkle pork pieces on top when serving.
I am sharing this recipe with On the Menu Monday and Foodie Friday's

1 comment: