I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Egg Gravy

This is probably my family's favorite breakfast. My husband, sons, grandchildren and siblings all love it. It is always on the request menu when they come to visit..or if I visit them! My husband's mother taught me to make it, and like most of my "home cooking" recipes, ingredients are approximate because they are "a little of this, and a pinch of that" recipes that were handed down verbally, and by my watching in the kitchen. It might not sound very good, but it is delicious, and perfect for a cold morning!
Ingredients:
3-4 TBS BACON drippings
3 TBS flour
3 C milk, approximately
2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Stir flour into drippings until well blended. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly and a light brown. Gradually add milk, stirring with whisk. Cook until thickened and creamy, stirring constantly. After gravy begins to thicken, break eggs into it, stir until eggs are cooked. Eggs will thicken gravy, so you will have to add more milk or water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Making gravy takes practice. Rarely does anyone get it right the first time. If it is lumpy, keep whisking; if too thick, add some water/milk. Above all,do not panic! Serve over hot biscuits or toast made in the oven.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Patsy,
    I really enjoy reading your blog and I wanted to pass on the Triple Cute Awards to your blog! Congratulations and please visit my post to know more about this!
    http://witwokandwisdom.blogspot.com/2011/11/yet-another-award-triple-cute-awards.html
    Cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Pat, I love reading about your family recipes!! What great memories you have & such wonderful cooks that taught you so much!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kitty. I had some awesome teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hy Patsy,
    chanced upon your space while blog hopping...very interesting space you have..love your presentation..
    egg gravy sounds scrumptiously tasty..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn tootin this is our favorite breakfast of all, all time!!!!! Please, please fax me some!!!

    Love you,

    Dada

    ReplyDelete