I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Aunt Gladys' 1950's Lime Jell-O Salad with Pineapple, Cream Cheese & Pecans

I was thinking about my Aunt Gladys today.  She was my Grandmother's sister.  My Grandmother raised me, and Aunt Gladys was like a grandmother to me.  In the 1940's and 1950's, on the last day of school, her car would be in the driveway when I got off the school bus.  She and I would head for her home, where I would spend the entire summer.  What a glorious time I had with her!!  We would shop at Rich's and Davison's in downtown Atlanta for hours on end...until my skinny little legs wouldn't take me another step.  The next day, I knew what was coming..."Patsy, I don't think I want any of these things"...so off we would go to Atlanta to return them.  She took me to the movies, the swimming pool, church...anywhere I wanted to go.  When I was a teenager, she would arrange for me to meet some nice young men from well-to-do families...she picked some really cute ones!  It was at her house that I began my culinary love affair with asparagus...yum!  She made me sweet iced tea mixed half and half with pineapple juice...60 years later, I still love it... and we call it an "Aunt Gladys"...she was decades ahead of "Arnold Palmer" ;)  Also, she never failed to make this congealed salad for me...I thought it was divine...and still enjoy eating it.  Such sweet memories of such a sweet and special aunt!  Thank you, Aunt Gladys...I hope I said that often enough while you were still here...but I do hope God doesn't have to go shopping with you.  I would love to go with you again, though. :)

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese
1 pkg. (3 oz.) lime Jello
1 3/4 c. boiling water
1 can #2 crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Instructions:
Thoroughly blend cream cheese and Jello. Add boiling water. Stir until cheese mixture is completely melted. Chill until cool. Stir in pineapple and nuts. Chill again until set. Serve on beds of lettuce or make in a Jell-O mold, if desired.

13 comments:

  1. This looks so pretty. I love the color of green. I have to make this. Thank you for sharing. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patsy,
    I think I take after my Grandmother as well. She was a dietician in a hospital. Nice to meet you. Have a good day.New follower. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that color, too, looks like jadeite! I'm looking forward to trying this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom used to make this & I loved it!! My Aunt Kitty made one with strawberries, whick I loved too. Thanks for reminding me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story & your memories of Aunt Gladys...so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Miss Kitty. I love the old foods, and the memories they evoke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patsy!
    This is my first visit to your blog & imagine how thrilled I was to find one of my favorite olden days recipe! I grew up with this Jell-O salad being served at my high school cafeteria & never knew exactly how they made it. I always thought it had cottage cheese in it...they probably didn't mix in the cream cheese very well. LOL
    Thanks so much for sharing your Aunt's recipe. I WILL be making it soon & for sure, for St. Patrick's Day...the color is perfect for March 17th!

    I'm your newest follower, BTW,
    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Rett. I am so glad you have joined. I paid you a visit this morning, and joined your lovely blog as well.

    As you can see, this is not a traditionally formatted blog. I just wanted to post my recipes, especially the old one like this that hold so many memories. I have always loved this salad, and I guess mainly because of my Aunt. I have seen this dish made with cottage cheese, so maybe the lunch room ladies weren't such bad mixers after all. LOL!
    When I was growing up, every tea, luncheon, shower or wedding served the lovely little colored mints. It made me smile to see them on your table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mom made this but with new packaging wasnt sure of the exact ingredients and that can make it come out wrong. Thank you for the exacts so Ican make it with great results. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so excited to find this recipe. My Granny use to make this for all our holiday dinners. Thank you so much for posting the recipe as it brings back many wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my family we call this Grandma's Funky Green Salad and we can't have a family function without it!! I lost my copy and typed in the ingredients and I found this recipe!!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just like grandma made. No better way to remember loved ones past than these old recipes. Do you happen to have the Campbell's tomato soup spaghetti recipe? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete