I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bananas Foster Ice Cream Cake

I was looking through my recipe files this morning, and found this cake and photo from Taste of the South Magazine 2006.  I made it for a birthday brunch for my son and granddaughter...it was delicious, and made a beautiful presentation.  Perfect for a special occasion.

Ingredients:

  1. 1 (18.25-ounce) package butter-recipe cake mix
  2. 3 eggs
  3. 1/2 cup butter
  4. Water as needed
  5. 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  6. 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
  7. 2 to 3 bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
  8. 1 recipe of Caramel Rum Sauce (recipe below)
  1. To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer, smooth-side up, on a cake plate. Top with 1/4 of softened ice cream, smoothing surface with a knife or spatula. Repeat with remaining two layers of cake. (For best results, place cake in freezer for 20 to 30 minutes after adding each layer of ice cream.) After third layer of ice cream, arrange small scoops of ice cream on top around edge of cake. (Scoops should be touching). Return to freezer until serving time.
  2. To serve, pile banana slices in center of cake, and pour 3/4 cup cooledCaramel Rum Sauce over bananas. (Rum sauce will run down sides of cake between ice-cream scoops.) Serve remaining rum sauce with cake as an accompaniment.
Caramel Rum Sauce:
Ingredients:
1/4 C butter
1 C brown Sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 C rum, plus 2 TBS water

I am sharing this with Full Plate Thursday and Foodie Friday  

7 comments:

  1. This cake looks so delicious. My hubby loves anything even remotely having to do with Banana's Foster and this would be perfect for his birthday this year! Thanks so much for sharing it. It's going into my recipe files for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I know your hubby will love it...mine did!

      Delete
  2. Lovely cake Patsy!Looks so delectable is very easy to make too.Loved the easy-peasy recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, dear Sudha. It is a very tasty dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patsy,
    Oh my goodness, this is an awesome dessert that we are going to just love! I can almost taste it already, we will be having it very soon. Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Miz Helen...and congratulations on the one year anniversary of you excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! I am delighted!!!!!

    ReplyDelete