I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hearty Split Pea Soup

I don't like cold weather at all, but I do love cooking and eating soups and stews to warm from the inside out.  This is one of my personal favorites.

Ingredients:
Leftover ham shank bone, with some meat on it
1 bag split peas, rinsed and picked over
4 medium potatoes, cubes
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, grated on large side of grater
1 box Chicken stock
1 TBS. bacon grease
1 bay leaf

Instructions:
Saute vegetables in bacon grease until soft, add ham bone and chicken stock.  Cook for about 15 minutes, then add washed split peas and bay leaf.  Simmer until peas are done, adding water if necessary, so soup doesn't get too thick.  I do not strain this soup, because we love the pieces of potato and chunks of ham in it. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I've never even eaten split pea soup! I need to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...especially this chunky version.

    ReplyDelete