I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sausage and Red Peppers with Pasta

I have cooked this dish for years, but not very often.  Kind of an out of sight, out of mind thing, I guess.  My guys really enjoy it when I do serve it.  It is a hearty pasta dish, and a very good choice in cold weather.  Add bread, a green salad, and your favorite wine for a satisfying meal!

Ingredients:
2 TBS olive oil
5-6 links Italian Sausage (I use hot)
1 C onion, finely chopped
3 sweet red peppers, cut into medium slices
1 C red wine
1  28 oz.can Italian plum tomatoes
1 C water
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 C Italian parsley
4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
dried red pepper flakes, optional

Instructions:
Put olive oil in pot; prick sausages with fork, and brown in oil until done, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove sausage from pot.  Add onions and cook, covered, about 10 minutes.  Add peppers and garlic, cook uncovered another 3 minutes, stirring often.  Put in tomatoes, wine, water and spices.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer about 10 minutes more.  Meanwhile, slice sausage into 1/2" slices, add to sauce and simmer another 20 minutes, adding parsley in last 5 minutes.  Serve with ziti or rigatoni.  Sprinkle with freshly grated parmigiana.
Wow us Wednesdays
Thriving on Thursday
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

6 comments:

  1. Lovely winter dish - the red peppers sound like much-needed warmth in this cold weather:)Thanks for sharing,dear Patsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend! Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like another pasta meal my hubby & I would love!! I did make your Chicago-style pasta meal & we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guys usually like this dish. Glad you enjoyed the mostacolli!

      Delete
  4. Hi Patsy,
    We would just love this recipe, the combination of flavor in your recipe are just awesome. I am looking forward to seeing you soon! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Miz Helen! Thank you again for providing Full Plate Thursday for us to share recipes and ideas. I am looking forward to next week!
      Pat

      Delete